Mason Bay

The rebirth and conversion of a New Zealand fishing boat-and maybe her further adventures. Other boats and observations will happen from time to time.....

Saturday, June 29, 2013



Hull now filled and sanded.Time to fit and glue the 3 whale-strakes each side.
Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, June 26, 2013



Had dinner with Hilton and Melva the other evening.
Hilton was keen to show me his 1:10 scale model of my SPINDRIFT design (their name) for them.It has been ballasted to float on the waterline andhas pwer and radio control set up.I can tell you it was heavy! Has dive weights as ballast.
Note no rubrail on the starboard side yet.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, June 24, 2013



Glassed the port side today. will do starboard tomorrow. Need to grind off the lap along the keel area. This is heavy structural double-bias with chopped strand on the inside. Ends up 1.5 to 2mm thick. really soaks up the epoxy resin!
Posted by Picasa

Friday, June 21, 2013



Hull now has been filled and sanded, spotted and sanded again. Now ready for glassing. (After which there will be more filling and sanding!)
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, June 20, 2013


This is a Marco Polo Design from LFH. Remarkably built according to the plans some years ago. A regular at the Mahurangi regatta.
Work continues on the dinghy but have to download from the camera, and its cold outside!
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, June 16, 2013



Fully sanded and the first filler coat applied.There had to be quite a bit in both bow areas due to the hollow there. But generally quite [pleased and keen to sand further and gradually get ready for glassing. Bought the 600gm doublebias with chopped strand matt when I went thru Auckland.
Posted by Picasa

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Wednesday, June 12, 2013



Working up to the turn of the bilges. Might change layout now.Will be pushing on rapidly now I have a system!.
Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, June 11, 2013



The strips are creeping up from the sheer. This is port side, starboard the same.The raised sheer for the 'quarter deck', which is part of Bolgers design that I quite like is also stripped up.The odd clamp here and there to make sure they are tight together.The strips are square-edged.

Thursday, June 6, 2013


First strips glued on.  Doing port and starboard sides together to avoid any distortions. 
Cedar strips are 20mm by 10mm. We will see how we go on the tight part of the bilges.


David Thatcher kindly sent me this foto.
Two different Shoestrings together, both junk rigged.
please notice the slightly modified sheerline in Footprints (the right hand one).small changes can sometimes make a big difference.
Footprints is off to New Caladonia in August, he tells me.
Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, June 4, 2013



Got the stem, stern knee, and keel in place.The transom is oversize and will be trimmed and beveled later.I have started beveling the stem, and this also will be fine tuned as the cedar strips work their way up. 
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, June 2, 2013


All molds (Now spelt correctly!)  completed. 13 in total, spaced every foot. But I am spacing them 320mm. Tomorrow will do the transom.Then we can see what she will be like with them erected.
The notch is for the kelson.She sure has hard bilges!
Posted by Picasa